Monday, 29 October 2007

One!

One year ago.....

One year old.....


Jed had a quiet day at home with his big brother and Mama and Daddy. Some presents, some laughter, some napping and some playing. What a lovely way to turn one. Happy Birthday, Jed we will always love you!

My veggie patch has also grown and is starting to produce some things we can eat...I had some just picked, rain washed baby spinach with my scrambled eggs the other morning Yum Yum........ So


from this.....
to this.....
in just over a month. I do need some advice though. How do I control the tiny green caterpillar type bugs organically? They are way too tiny for me to find and pick off one by one, I need some sort of help I'm afraid. I was thinking some sort of garlic type spray but I don't really know if that would be right.

We had a big storm here last night, finally some good rain to help fill the tank. It has been overcast and showery today, so the nappies had to go in the dryer...the pay off for rain I suppose! There are more storms forecast for tonight as well, I love rain but not wind or lightening, plus we often lose power in a storm. We have contemplated a generator, at least we would still be able to shower and flush toilets, if the power is out. Still at thinking about it stage....where it will probably stay.

I will be participating in a combined garage sale early next month. I am quite looking forward to passing on of some of our clutter. There is a reason for my burst of Spring cleaning it seems. Now I'm to be found with my head stuck in a cupboard madly calling have you used this (insert; toy, electronic device,item of clothing) in the last 6 months? Yes I'm fairly ruthless I know the rule of thumb is a year!
Should be lots of fun, and hopefully I will make a little money as well...Jed badly needs some new nappies, he is actually growing faaaaast!

I spoke to the guy who knows everything about drugs and breastfeeding this morning, he said that I have no worries with anything to do with my proposed dental work. Damn! lol I have been putting off speaking to him as I have been a wuss about having the root canal therapy done. No excuses now, I have to make some appointments!

We are supposed to take some cake to Steiner tomorrow to celebrate Jed's birthday, but my scales are broken and I'm hopeless at measuring by eye. So I think we might have to celebrate with fruit only. I did make Tiger some play dough yesterday though (no scales involved). What fun! He actually played with it for about half an hour, by himself...a bit of a record for Tiger!

I am about to go and start dinner, roast chicken with veggies and apple crumble for dessert. We were to have it yesterday for Jed's birthday dinner but DP was called out to help with storm damage so we postponed it till tonight...but he has been gone all day and with more storms predicted he might not be able to enjoy it tonight either! I have to cook the chicken though, so perhaps he will have to enjoy it as chicken sandwiches.

Inspiration: Rain...I'm loving this weather today!
BTW if you find a spare couple of minutes over the next few days please go here and donate some rice.

Bit of a ramble today, please forgive the wanderings but you were warned in the header!



3 comments:

Lisa [strickerin] said...

Happy Birthday special little man!

Oh and pass the apple crumble please.

I hope the birthdat celebration at Silkwood is special too. So sad to be missing it. I still feel that something is missing every tuesday.

xx

The Tin House said...

Jen, what a precious little boy you have there. Congratulations on bringing him into the world. I'll take the crumble too thanks! Re: the little grubs. I'm afraid the boring news is that the best control is manually squishing them. If you can spend 5 minutes every day you'll get them all. They start off tiny but they'll be as fat as a pencil in a few weeks and thus easier to see...however the size of your greens is inversely proportional to the size of the grubs. And a question for you - what mcn's do you use? Homemade? Pockets? AIO's? I need about 5 more to allow me to wash every second day. I'm using "green kids" pockets with bamboo inserts at present. They're terrific but I'd be interested to know your approach. Lisa x

The Tin House said...

Jen, I'm posting the beetroot recipe today. Lisa x

p.s email me on
fitzgeraldsmt at bigpond dot com