I seem to have been MIA for the last little while. It is because as the title of this post says I have been getting to know Jan.One of my loveliest friends has moved overseas for a time and she decided not to take Jan with her so I have been left with the very nice task of looking after Jan whilst my friend is away. It has taken us a few months of warily circling each other but I am pleased to report that we have over the last couple of weeks become quite close and perhaps one might even say friendly! At least so far Jan has done nothing to really upset me and although I have been keeping her up late some nights she seems to have settled in quite well.
I decided that we needed to make some simple projects together, something that would help us bond. The image of us becoming friends as we pieced together fabric and made something new appealed to my inner romantic.
So without further delay let me introduce Jan.......

Isn't she lovely?
So far we have made Tiger a snuggle blanket and some cushions for the rocking chair in the boys room. Also I attempted a pair of pants for Jed and after I had ripped the seams and added some more fabric (so the poor child wasn't wearing hipsters) I am quite pleased with the results. At least they are fine for playgroup and ABA meetings. Then I found a stained t-shirt and appliqued a piece of matching material and we have a set.... The 'busyness' of the material also hides a multitude of wonky seams.




I used polar fleece for the backing on Tiger's snuggle blanket and fake fur for the front. He wanted "lion" fur but I have to admit I was shocked at the price per metre of fake fur so we ended up digging through the remnants bin and finding enough for me to sew together patchwork wise . I paid $3.00 a piece for the fur so $12.oo instead of over twice that for a metre. I had enough left over to use as the backing for the new cushions.
So for my first sewing projects I have to admit to a little bit of self back patting and quiet smiles. Of course I doubt that I could ever reach the dizzy heights of sewing glory that Lisa achieved last week however I am so excited by the whole sewing experiment and have so many ideas buzzing around that I think I might have to get a little Brother for Jan. Then I won't be lonely when she goes back to her real home.
So much fun....
On a completely different but no less pleasant note look what I got for Valentines Day....

That's a dozen red roses... first time we've ever done Valentines Day and as usual I did nothing for him..... Thank You, Honey you made my day, but then you make my day every day.
2 comments:
Jen - Brilliant sewing!!!!!!!! How gorgeous are those pants. I have a few t-shirts that could use the Jen applique treatment - I think I have to go back to using bibs more often than I do. Nice bargain hunting with the furry stuff. Fake fur is so pricey but your choice is really nice and sure to be a favourite. Max has a blankey that's a wool and cotton knit - it's very beautiful, Australian made (although not home made) and cost me 50c at the op shop! How are your elephants going? Looking forward to seeing them on display. Lisa x
Hello Jen, just wanted to drop by and say thank you for visiting my blog Pebbledash, and sorry you didn't win Choosing Eden...but follow its path, there will be more chances! I'm going to linger here now and read your blog! Diana
Post a Comment